Monday, May 20, 2013

Blog 25: Mentorship


    Literal
MENTORSHIP LOG

    Interpretive
The most important thing that I have gained from this experience was trying to meet the needs of the students. When I would work with a student one on one I found it very hard to explain what I was teaching. I know how to do the worksheet but I didn't know how to sign the explanation. It was the most difficult thing for me. I had to search how to sign certain words. Ask the deaf teachers and the interpreters how to sign a word or how they would explain this concept. I cant come up with an explanation on the spot but if I go home and thought how I would be able to sign instructions on how to solve a problem I could be able to do it now.  This is important because teachers need to be able to make sure that all of the students understand what is being taught. If the student doesn't know then the teacher has to figure out another way that they might understand, that is what I had to do in my mentorship.
    
   Applied
Being at South Hills and going to Mesa Elementary helped answer my EQ because I was able to see the teachers use two answers I found to answer my essential question in the classroom. My first answer: having a strong foundation in ASL, I saw that mostly when I went to Mesa. Christy Neria would have the students write a story in English but have them read it in ASL. I wrote a story of my own and was able to read (sign) it to the class. I also got to her technique in teaching Language Arts.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment