Monday, May 20, 2013

Baby Essie

This weekend my father was asked to come speak at a deaf rally in San Francisco and in San Jose. Its pretty hard to talk and sign at the same time. It is like listening to Spanish and English at the same time. You are not going to receive all of the information. I originally was not going to go due to school and the homework I had to do. But the ADAM (Advocating for Deaf Apostolic Ministry) called my father and asked if I was available to interpret for him. While I was up there I was able to see some old friends. Robin, the hearing lady next to me, is a fully certify interpreter. Next to her is her Deaf husband, Jan. And the baby is their daughter, Essie who is hearing. But seeing Essie who can't talk as much for her age right now, both of the parents talk to her in sign language. It's so cute seeing her dance to the music and when it stops, she stop dancing turns to her mom and signs to her "music". Now I know that my EQ targets elementary students who are deaf and baby Essie is neither of those. But she helps prove my best answer which is having a strong foundation in ASL. Both parents fully communicate with her in sign language and she gets it and is able to communicate back. Now she isn't signing these long sentences, that's crazy. But she is able to communicate back to her parents. It is cool being able to see by senior project being applied to real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment